The physics program will enhance your understanding of matter and energy and their relationship to society as you develop valuable skills through quantitative reasoning and laboratory measurement.
- Working with expert faculty, you will practice computer data acquisition and analysis to gain the critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills valued by employers in science, engineering, medicine, business, law and management.
- Our innovative laboratory courses in areas like electricity, optics and modern physics will give you hands-on experience working with oscilloscopes, function generators and 3-D printers.
- The physics program will give you many opportunities to complete student-faculty research in exciting areas — like current projects involving robotic sensor glove programming and thin film solar cells.
- You will have the opportunity to present your work at the Science Festival, an open house hosted by faculty and students to highlight science at Illinois College.
- IC’s Design For America studio will connect you to local organizations, mentors and students from various majors to work in teams designing innovative solutions for complicated community challenges. DFA will provide valuable experience and help you develop professional relationships connecting with industry leaders and graduate schools.
- By joining IC’s student-run Physics Club, you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with like-minded classmates to explore physics and further develop your scientific skills in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.
- AERO-STEM scholarships are available to academically talented, low-income students interested in pursuing degrees in certain STEM fields. Visit our scholarship page to learn more.
Graduates of the physics program have found success working in a variety of careers throughout industry and government. Many alumni have also been accepted into graduate programs to pursue advanced degrees in physics and engineering.