The Illinois College computer science program will provide you with a solid, practical foundation in software development that includes algorithm development and programming, along with the fundamentals of theory and hardware.
- You will have the opportunity to learn various advanced topics by taking elective courses in computer science with advising by expert faculty to prepare you for success in the field or further study in a graduate program.
- You will work closely with knowledgeable faculty who wrote the textbooks that are used for the first two introductory courses to Java.
- Computer science curriculum is developed using the ACM curriculum recommendations to ensure the program is effective, innovative and relative to the current field.
- You will have opportunities to find and secure top internships, with guidance from faculty and staff, to prepare you to enter the field with hands-on, professional experience.
- You will have the opportunity to join the Illinois College Computer Club (ICCC). Members participate in the ACM-ICPC Mid-Central Regional Programming Contest and take field trips to research facilities and companies with established connections to IC, such as National Center for Supercomputing and Applications at the University of Illinois, Wolfram Research, Levi, Ray & Shoup (LRS), Bound To Stay Bound, Dot Foods, and CCK Automation.
- IC’s Computer Science Advanced Lab is used to hold computer science classes, tutoring sessions and to host ICCC meetings. You will have access to the lab, where you can work on your programs and study in a friendly, relaxed environment with other computer science students.
Graduates of the computer science program tend to go straight into the industry after graduation, so internships are a very important part of their preparation for future success. Our students have interned at top companies across the country, with many leading to offers of full-time employment. Recent internship sites include Bound to Stay Bound Books, Caterpillar, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Dot Foods, Goldman Sachs, H. D. Smith, IBM, and Levi, Ray & Shoup (LRS).
Recent alumni have also gone on to graduate programs at Eastern Illinois University, Iowa State University, University of Illinois at Springfield, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Rhode Island, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale and Washington University in St. Louis.