If you enjoy tackling real-world problems in our society, legal system and government, then our political science program is a great place for you.
- Our students are driven to change the world, and we equip them with the skills they need to make an impact. Advanced training in political knowledge, critical thinking and analytic writing will give you the confidence and preparation needed to be a leader in public or the workplace.
- Political science courses will develop your understanding of political systems, public policies, and political behavior within the United States and beyond, while training for a career in law, journalism, education, business, consulting or public service at the local, state or federal level.
- From day one, you will have access to rigorous and engaging teaching in courses led by experienced, award-winning professors.
- You will be part of a vibrant scholarly community, surrounded by talented peers who share an interest in society, law and government. You will develop a deeper understanding of your personal values and political views broaden your understanding of political, economic and social justice.
- You will connect with leaders in law, public service, and business with hands-on learning experiences, internships and study abroad. These life-changing opportunities will grow your connections to local, state and national levels of government in Springfield, Illinois; Washington, D.C. and beyond.
- You will have the opportunity to conduct student-faculty research in area that interests you and aligns with your career aspirations. Past projects have focused on a remarkable range of topics, including democracy in the Middle East, the mobilization of young American voters, the impact of the Tea Party on American politics, peacekeeping in Africa, the evolving norms of humanitarian intervention, and access to health care in the United States.
Recent political science graduates can be found in promising careers working in offices of representatives and senators on Capitol Hill, the Governor’s staff in Springfield, and in major governmental agencies such as the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and the Illinois Department of Transportation.
Our recent graduates also frequently go on to legal careers. Recently, our students been accepted by the law schools of the University of Illinois, Michigan State University, the University of Colorado, Drake University, Southern Illinois University, the University of Iowa, American University, Baylor University, Texas A&M University, St. Louis University and Loyola University of Chicago.