- As a global studies major, you will have the flexibility to tailor your major and pair it with other courses of study to fit your interests and professional plans. Students are encouraged to be interdisciplinary. Expert faculty and staff will mentor and help you navigate new cultural experiences, hands-on learning and academics.
- Global studies majors choose from four distinct concentrations: international relations, Caribbean studies, Spanish, European studies and Asian studies.
- An emphasis on language skills will deepen your understanding of the world as you experience new cultures through language and learn to speak, read and write in a language other than English. You will have the opportunity to study French, German, Japanese and Spanish, with access to opportunities to apply your language skills through hands-on experiences, and in face-to-face and virtual encounters with native speakers at the Center for Global Studies.
- All global studies majors are required to complete an international experience, such as study abroad, a global BreakAway trip or international research. IC has many resources available for you to immerse yourself in new cultures and become a global citizen. Some domestic intercultural experiences might fulfill the requirement with the approval of a Global Studies advisor.
- IC’s distinctive BreakAway program provides opportunities for you to experience different cultures, environments and ideas through short-term, experiential learning trips. All students who participate in these unique trips are eligible for a $1000 grant from the College.
- The Center for Global Studies serves as the campus hub for international, intercultural and foreign language learning.The recently renovated space opened in August 2018 and is home to global studies faculty and many cultural activities on campus.
- Student organizations on campus provide additional opportunities to meet like-minded classmates to explore cultures, global issues and further develop your language skills in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.
Students graduating with a major in global studies are well equipped to enter the workforce pursuing careers in international business, teaching, diplomacy, government and nongovernmental organizations.
Recent graduates work for employers such as pharmaceutical company H.D. Smith, Wells Fargo Financial, A.G. Edwards and the Cass County Immigrant Welcoming Center. Alumni have also been awarded Fulbright fellowships, attended medical school or law school, pursued graduate degrees domestically and abroad, served in the Peace Corps, and taught English to students in Japan and France.