- The Japanese in global studies minor will prepare you to work within today’s diverse, global economy as you gain the confidence and preparation needed to use a foreign language in both personal and professional settings.
- Our program allows you to take advantage of many business and cultural opportunities considering that Japanese is the 9th most spoken language in world by native speakers (more than French, German and Italian) and the country boasts the world's third largest economy.
- You will benefit from IC’s many established partnerships and connections to Japan, including our 30-year exchange program with Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto and the Luce Initiative on Asian Studies and the Environment (LIASE), among others.
- You will have the opportunity to study abroad or go on a global BreakAway trip to experience all facets of Japanese life — from countryside villages to mega-metropolitan Tokyo. You will have guidance from faculty and staff and access to the resources and funds necessary to find experiences that best fit your goals. All students that go on a BreakAway trip are eligible for a $1000 grant from the College.
- By joining IC’s student-run Japan Club, you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with like-minded classmates to explore Japan’s culture and further develop your language skills in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.
- The Japanese in global studies minor complements other majors and minors, helping to prepare you for a wide range of future careers.
Graduates have been accepted into competitive graduate programs and found success in a variety of careers, including positions in local, regional and global service organizations like the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps and the U.S. Marines.
Many alumni have also been accepted to the prestigious Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) program.