If you excel at mathematics and enjoy solving challenging problems, then an actuarial science major at Illinois College might be a perfect fit for you.
- The interdisciplinary program blends mathematics with areas such as accounting, finance and other traditional liberal arts fields to help prepare you for a career in actuarial science.
- Your actuarial science studies will involve working closely with faculty inside and outside of the classroom to prepare for the first two in the series of rigorous actuarial exams that allow upward movement in the field.
- Small class sizes will allow you to experience greater guidance by faculty as you build the skills needed to enter this challenging field.
- You will have opportunity to pursue valuable internships. IC students who have chosen to pursue an actuarial career have been able to participate in internships, often leading to offers of full-time employment.
- The US Department of Labor predicts strong growth in demand for professionals in actuarial science through 2024. As a graduate of this program, you will stand out to employers with a strong educational background and the skills that today’s employers value — like the abilities to think critically, communicate effectively and the capacity to work in diverse groups.
Although the actuarial science major is new at Illinois College, several graduates of the math program from IC have gone on to successful careers in the actuarial field over the years, working for companies nationwide.