- As a student in English with the literature concentration, you will connect with faculty mentors who foster your passion and offer a global vision of literature.
- The literature program will connect you to opportunities to pursue travel, become involved with campus publications and local internships, and engage inside and outside the classroom through independent, student-designed research projects.
- You will develop skills in analyzing literature and conveying your unique arguments through writing and speaking.
- Faculty and staff will guide you to learn about the larger field of English studies and the many opportunities it contains.
- You will have the ability to network with alumni who will share their experiences in graduate programs and diverse career fields, with targeted advice on applying to graduate schools or jobs.
- The critical thinking and reading, writing and research skills you gain through the study of literature are those that today's employers value.
- You will Graduate READY to pursue your specific career goals, with individualized faculty advising and a capstone senior seminar.
The literature concentration in English prepares students for graduate school, law school and a wide range of professional careers in law, library science, education and a host of other fields.
Alumni have been accepted to graduate programs in literature, writing, publishing, library and information science, law and intercultural communication at schools such as Simmons College, Temple University, Iowa State University, Vancouver Film School, University of Sheffield (England), Drexel University, University of Illinois at Springfield, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Kansas State University and others.
Graduates have also gone on to serve in the Peace Corps, teach English in Japan and Korea, and hold a variety of careers in education, grant writing, law school, game design, law enforcement and business.