The First-Year Seminar at Illinois College introduces you to the unique value of a liberal arts education and will help you develop strategies for success that you will build on throughout your college journey.
Courses are focused on varying themes from a broad range of disciplines, and they offer incoming students an opportunity to enter into a small learning community with a team of student and professional mentors.
Intended learning outcomes:
- learn strategies for success in college and become familiar with academic standards and IC values
- gain confidence using college essential resources
- understand how to develop plans for achieving goals
- become proficient in active learning, including research, collaboration, and creative and critical thinking
- engage in the learning community by participating in common learning experiences
- form relationships with advisors, student affairs professionals, student leaders and peers
- develop a greater understanding of diversity in the United States and the world
- gain an understanding of your role within a connected, global community
- learn the major goals and themes of the BLUEprint General Education Program exploring various fields