Men’s & Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field (Jumps)
Reports to: Director of Track & Field/Cross Country
Status: Full-Time, Salaried, 10-month position
Class: Administrative Exemption
Date Last Revised: April 2019
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles north of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois state capitol. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students, qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Track & Field/Cross Country in all matters surrounding recruiting, training, and coaching members of the Men’s & Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field Teams. The successful candidate is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Illinois College, the Midwest Conference (MWC), and the NCAA. Illinois College is a member of the NCAA at the Division III level.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Recruit, retain and graduate successful student-athletes
- Meet the recruitment and retention goals set by the College
- Ensure academic performance and personal development of student-athletes
- In collaboration with the Director of Track/XC, develop a training program for the horizontal and vertical jump events.
- Practice and meet coaching at all competitions during the cross country and track seasons.
- Recruiting activities include but are not limited to; travel to competitions and high schools, contacting high school and club coaches, evaluating talent, contacting and meeting with prospective student-athletes.
- Collaborate with Early Intervention group
- Management of all home events including, but not limited to; collegiate and high school track and cross country meets, winter and summer track camps, and prospective student visit days
- Maintain a high level of professionalism on and off the field toward student athletes, other coaches, parents, administrators, and members of the community
- Attend regular athletic and admission staff meetings
- Help manage, as needed, online recruiting database (Front Rush)
- Assume additional administrative responsibilities within Athletics Department, as assigned by the Director of Athletics
- Assist in organizing alumni meet and other special events, including fundraising events in collaboration with the Office of Development and Alumni Relations
- Assist the coordinator of strength & conditioning with the operation and supervision of out of season strength & conditioning activities (if certified in strength & conditioning)
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- Experience competing in collegiate jump events in track & field.
- Jumps coaching experience at the NCAA level, Division III, preferred
- Recruiting experience at the collegiate level, Division III, preferred
- Candidates with certifications in the jump events and/or strength and conditioning, preferred
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Appreciation for the value of a liberal arts experience and the philosophy of DIII athletics
- Valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability, required
- First Aid and AED certification, preferred
- Knowledge of NCAA, Midwest Conference, and Illinois Colleges rules, regulations and guidelines
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, and evenings
- Passion and motivation to recruit student-athletes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Possess an outcomes-oriented approach to coaching
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.