Earthquake Emergency Procedures
If you are inside a building:
- Move away from windows, filing cabinets, shelves, chemicals and other heavy objects that may fall
- Immediately "Duck, cover and hold":
- Duck under a table or sturdy desk, crouch against an interior wall or between seating rows in auditoriums and cover your neck and head
- If you stand in a doorway, brace yourself against the frame with your back to the door
- Wheelchair users should move to the safest location, apply the break and cover their head with their arms
- Stay under cover until shaking has stopped
- Once shaking has stopped, leave the building. If possible, put on a pair of comfortable shoes, as there could be broken debris. Take your keys, your wallet, flashlight and any other small, necessary items such as medicine. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS
- Report any building hazards to Facilities Management
- Do not re-enter the building until given permission by a College official
If you are outside:
- Move away from buildings, trees, signs, electrical poles and wires
- Protect your head from falling debris
- If you are near a campus building, wait until the earthquake is over and then gather outside with other evacuees from that building. This will be the best place to get further information on what to do.
Be prepared for aftershocks.