Preferred Computer Specifications
The following system requirements should be considered when purchasing a PC.
- Operating System: at least Windows 7
- Storage: 500GB Hard Drive or larger
- Memory: 8GB or larger
- Processor: Ivy Bridge Intel i5/AMD A10 or better
- Wireless: 802.11 n, ac
- Warranty: 3 year warranty is recommended
It is not necessary to purchase anti-virus protection such as Norton, MacAfee, WebRoot, etc. The free Microsoft software called Microsoft Security Essentials
works just as well as any of these retail subscription anti-virus programs. (Note: Also works with NAC.)
Make sure you bring your factory restore (recovery) discs. If your computer did not come with factory restore discs, please burn them. There should be an option to create these using blank DVDs somewhere in your start menu.
The IC technical support site available to all students is located at the web address http://sharepoint.ic.edu/students
- This will provide helpful documentation that will allow students to diagnose some common problems that could be affecting their computer. Early detection is key when dealing with your computer and potential virus issues.
- If you are connected to the school’s internet you should have access to the site with no problems. However, if you are off campus (i.e. at home) you will need to provide login information at that URL. Your login information is:
- Username: email@example.com
- Password: Your network password you use for lab computers
Consistently run antivirus and antimalware scans. Maybe even setup automatic scans so that it scans your computer every few days or every week. This will increase your computers performance and decrease the chance of your computer ending up at the help desk.
All students have access to Google Drive using the same credentials as their campus email. You will be allowed to store up to 30 GB of data on your Google Drive. For directions on accessing your Google Drive please go to Sharepoint.
File Sharing (also known as peer to peer)
File sharing programs are not allowed. They tie up the network bandwidth needed for academic purposes. Our software detects bandwidth usage and disconnects ports that are excessive. Excessive use of bandwidth can be from a virus, spyware and port scanning programs such as:
- Vuze (formerly Azureus)
You will have access to the full suite of Microsoft Software on lab computers including:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher and Access
Students may also download the latest version of Microsoft Office through Office 365 for free by logging in using their network credentials (firstname.lastname@example.org) athttp://office.ic.edu
Backing up your data
In addition to utilizing Google Drive, it is always a good practice to take frequent backups to an external hard drive. Some drives come with backup software included, such as the Western Digital My Passport. You can purchase one from Newegg.com at http://goo.gl/uEqzUP