The Illinois College management information systems program will provide you with a solid, practical foundation in software development that includes algorithm development and programming, along with the fundamentals of business administration.
- You will have the opportunity to learn advanced topics by taking elective a variety of courses in the multidisciplinary MIS program, with advising by expert faculty in management and computer science to prepare you for success in the field or further study in a graduate program.
- You will work closely with knowledgeable faculty who wrote the textbooks used for the first two introductory courses to Java.
- You will have opportunities to find and secure top internships, with guidance from faculty and staff, to prepare you to enter the field with hands-on, professional experience.
- Students who like to expand their knowledge beyond the coursework can take independent studies to work on the projects. A recent study by a senior looked at different environments to develop applications for smart phones, Android apps and iOS apps.
- You will have the opportunity to join the Illinois College Computer Club (ICCC). Members participate in the ACM-ICPC Mid-Central Regional Programming Contest and take field trips to research facilities and companies with established connections to IC, such as National Center for Supercomputing and Applications at the University of Illinois, Wolfram Research, Levi, Ray & Shoup (LRS), Bound To Stay Bound, Dot Foods, and CCK Automation.
- IC’s Computer Science Advanced Lab is used to hold computer science classes, tutoring sessions and to host ICCC meetings. You will have access to the lab, where you can work on your programs and study in a friendly, relaxed environment with other computer science students.
Graduates of the management information systems program tend to go straight into the industry after graduation, so internships are a very important part of their preparation for future success. Our students have interned at top companies across the country, with many leading to offers of full-time employment. Our recent alumni can be found at Caterpillar and Levi, Ray & Shoup (LRS).
Alumni have also been accepted into graduate schools such as University of Illinois at Springfield through the Graduate Public Service Internship program.