Strength and Conditioning Head Coach
Reports to: Head Athletic Trainer
Status: Full-Time, Salary, 12-month position
Class: Administrative Exemption
Date Last Revised: July 2019
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles north of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capital. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The Strength and Conditioning Head Coach, in coordination with the Head Athletic Trainer, is responsible for the development, supervision, and overall operation of the department’s strength and conditioning programs. Using software and various communication methods, the coach will manage a highly functioning operation that will provide a safe, energetic, and encouraging environment that will add to the positive student-athlete experience. Illinois College is a member of the NCAA at the Division III level.
- The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Designs and develops strength and conditioning programs for 20 NCAA Division III athletic teams (excluding football) and three non-NCAA teams
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures for the use of the weight training and fitness facilities, including a fully functional exercise facility schedule to accommodate the needs of the athletics department and campus community
- Instructs proper lifting technique and running mechanics coordinated by the individual’s certifying governing body
- Monitors training sessions and fitness center to ensure safety of all users
- Works with the athletic training staff to create and implement dynamic team warm-ups designed to focus on injury prevention and performance maximization
- Counsels student-athletes on nutrition to reach optimal health and performance while educating on the dangers inherent to illegal/banned performance-enhancing drugs
- Monitors and maintains all exercise equipment and coordinates with campus partners to make all repairs in a timely manner
- Supervises the strength and conditioning staff, including Strength and Conditioning Coordinator(s) and student weight room employees
- Supports retention of athletes in Illinois College
- Collaborates with Early Intervention Group
Maintains a high level of professionalism on and off the field toward student athletes, other coaches, parents, administrators, and members of the community
Facilitates Wellbeats fitness class software for the campus community
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- Strength and conditioning certification in conjunction with NCAA rules, recommendations and regulations, (CSCS, TSAC-F, SCCC or CSC) required with preference given to the CSCS certification
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Able to develop and maintain collaborative relationships, engage in creative problem-solving, and extend enlightened hospitality when working with others.
- Valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability, required
- Appreciation for the value of a liberal arts experience and the philosophy of DIII athletics
- First Aid and AED certification, required
- Knowledge of NCAA rules, regulations and guidelines
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, and some evenings
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Possess an outcomes-oriented approach to coaching
- Ability to lift in excess of 50 pounds on frequent occasions
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.