Department: Office of Admission
Reports to: Associate Director of Admission
Status: Full Time, Salaried
Class: Administrative Exemption
Date Last Revised: May 2019
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles north of St. Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capital. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
Admissions counselors are responsible for developing and implementing programs and activities designed to enroll new undergraduate students at Illinois College (IC). As a member of the Enrollment team, counselors participate in a full range of recruitment and admission efforts including recruitment travel, group presentations, individual meetings, financial aid counseling, application review.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Counsel prospective students and their families as they seek to learn about the value of an Illinois College education.
- Act as Territory Manager for an assigned region within the US to realize an assigned recruitment goal.
- Meet weekly goals for counselor initiated completed contacts. Respond to in-person, phone and electronic admissions inquiries in a timely manner and at times that are appropriate for different time zones.
- Review applications for admission and scholarships
- Assist with on- and off-campus recruiting events and conduct information sessions.
- Conduct follow-up with prospective students at times that are convenient for different domestic time zones
- Provide enlightened hospitality to create lasting connections with prospective students, families and school counseling staff.
- Work with others to support division-wide enrollment initiatives such as event planning, program management, communication flow, and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree, required
- Must be willing to travel overnight as well as work evenings and weekends
- Dynamic public speaker with excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a goal-oriented strategic thinker
- Intercultural competence and the ability to work with diverse populations
- Must have a valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds in and out of a car
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.