Public Safety Officer
Department: Department Public Safety
Reports to: Executive Director of Residential Life and Campus Safety
Status: Full Time, Hourly non-exempt
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in the heart of Illinois, 70 miles northeast of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capitol. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. The College develops in its students’ qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The Public Safety Officer will promote public safety and risk management consciousness among the entire campus community and to promote a secure environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors of the College. This position provides security and protection for persons, buildings and/or property within the college community, by enforcing policies outlined in the faculty, staff, and student handbooks, and state and federal laws.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Provides public safety, risk management, and critical incident response to the college community, by patrolling assigned areas or buildings to enforce policies and procedures, which may include security of individual building and property.
- Responds to emergencies by assessing the situation, employing tact, diplomacy, and individual judgment to remedy and/or maintain control.
- Interacts with campus community members to build and maintain positive relationships, encouraging incident reporting.
- Completes necessary administrative forms and reports related to incidents. Includes gathering pertinent information from participants and/or witnesses.
- Provides traffic control during scheduled activities or during emergency situations as necessary.
- Enforces parking rules and regulations.
- Provides emergency response to injured persons and requests transportation of ill or injured persons by appropriate resources when necessary.
- Attends internal and/or external training courses, classes and seminars to further develop public safety, risk management and critical incident response skills and knowledge.
- Responds to requests for information and directions to students, faculty, staff and/or the general public.
- Provides 24-hour escort service to students, faculty, staff and guests of the college.
- High school graduation or GED, required
- A valid Illinois driver’s license, required
- Experience in law enforcement or other public safety or security related field, preferred
- Intercultural competence; ability to work well with people of diverse backgrounds and serve as a role model for students
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive environment that is welcoming and supportive of students from all backgrounds, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression, or other identities.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- High degree of professionalism, confidentiality, fairness and courtesy
- Knowledge of issues related to public safety/security and risk management. Ability to communicate clearly on those issues to students, faculty and staff members
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Evidence of high energy, creativity and attention to detail
- Familiar with basic office software; knowledge of technology related to campus safety
- Physical ability to walk up many stairs and lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds, required
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.