Payroll Coordinator/ Human Resources Generalist
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Status: Full-time, hourly
Date Last Revised: May 2019
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles north of St. Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capital. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The Payroll Coordinator and Human Resources Generalist provides varied generalist support for the Director of Human Resources, with a primary focus on coordination of faculty and staff payroll. The Coordinator/Generalist will be expected to work in a fast-paced setting and provide exceptional customer service to current and prospective employees of the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
Payroll Coordinator | 67%
- Manage the payroll related items of compensation, benefits and taxes
- Reconcile monthly health, vision/dental, and life/disability insurance statements to employee deductions
- Remit retirement funds electronically, according to federal and state law
- Submit requisitions for insurance vendor payments and reconcile account balances
- Submit requisitions for payroll deduction payments to outside organizations (i.e. AAUP, PLUW, wage garnishments)
- Annually reivew W2 and 1095 reports from payroll system (UltiPro)
- Audit preparation: workers compensation, retirement, and annual financial
- Review and reconcile general ledger liability accounts for insurance on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
HR Generalist | 33%
- Serve as primary contact for all insurance-related claim and coverage questions
- Prepare materials for entrance and exit interviews
- Assist employees with HR-related questions
- Maintain HR-related items on payroll system
- Manage employee discount program by building relationships with local business owners
- Coordinate annual employee benefits and wellness fair
- Develop and maintain current desk procedures
- Maintain various records and files as assigned for the Office of Human Resources
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, organizational leadership, human resources, accounting/finance, or comparable field. Two years of comparable work experience may be substituted in place of this degree preference.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in job requiring familiarity with payroll processing, cafeteria plans, Department of Labor regulations and Illinois Department of Employment Security regulations, preferred.
- Support work experience in Human Resources, preferred.
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Strong computer skills, specifically experience working with Microsoft Excel
- High attention to detail
- Ability to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize tasks
- Ability to identify and implement efficient workflows
- Possess tact and have a friendly demeanor
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.