Head Men's Volleyball Coach
Reports to: Director of Athletics
Status: Full Time, (12 month), salaried
Class: Administrative Exemption
Date Last Revised: April 10, 2019
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles north of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois state capital. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students, qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The head coach is responsible for administering all aspects of competitive Division III men’s volleyball program, adhering to the guidelines and expectations that are set forth from Illinois College and the NCAA. In addition to the day-to-day coaching, the Head Men’s Volleyball Coach is responsible for the organization of scheduling, budget, travel coordination, game day staff management, equipment management, camps, and fundraising. In addition to these responsibilities, the Head Men’s Volleyball Coach is expected to meet recruiting and retention goals. In this inaugural year of the program, the coach will be responsible for building a roster and completing the tasks to a build sustainable and successful program.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Recruit, retain and graduate successful student-athletes
- Meet the recruitment and retention goals set by the College
- Plan season competition schedule, coordinate travel, plan and conduct practices
- Ensure academic performance and personal development of student-athletes
- Collaborate with Early Intervention group
- Maintain a high level of professionalism on and off the court toward student athletes, other coaches, parents, administrators, and members of the community
- Monitor and manage men’s volleyball budgets and program resources
- Coordinate fundraising with Development and Alumni Affairs; Manage fundraising account
- Maintain a clear understanding and adhere to NCAA bylaws
- Additional administrative responsibilities will be assigned at the discretion of the Director of Athletics
- Bachelor’s Degree, required.
- Minimum of three years’ experience coaching volleyball, intercollegiate experience preferred
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Appreciation for the value of a liberal arts experience and the philosophy of DIII athletics
- Passion and motivation to recruit and mentor student-athletes
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Possess an outcomes-oriented approach to coaching
- Professional integrity and a positive approach to conflict management/resolution
- Commitment to compliance with all NCAA and Illinois College rules and regulations
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, and some evenings
- Valid driver’s license with evidence of insurability, required
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.