Reports to: Dean of Faculty
Status: Full-time, Salaried
Class: Administrative Exemption
Date Last Revised: June 2019
Since 1829, Illinois College has transformed the lives of undergraduate students. Founded by abolitionists, IC was the first college in Illinois to graduate students and hosts a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. The College is focused on student success and committed to ensuring access and equity.
Illinois College seeks candidates who have a commitment to working closely with a wide range of students. Currently our population is approximately one-quarter students of color and 40% first-generation college students. Eagerness and ability to work with these populations is essential.
The College is located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 30 miles west of the capital city of Springfield and 70 miles north of St. Louis, Missouri.
The director has primary responsibility for the recruitment and development of students to participate in the newly created Illinois College drumline. The drumline will serve as the primary musical ensemble at athletic events, and enhance the reputation and visibility of the college through participation in public performance on campus and in the community.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities:
- Recruit and retain students to the Drumline Program through Illinois College graduation
- Direct a collegiate drumline program
- Coordinate all aspects of running the drumline program including developing the performance and practice schedules, travel planning and budget management
- Work closely with Athletics to coordinate performance schedules and gameday logistics
- Ensure academic performance and personal development of drumline members.
- Develop appropriate relationships with drumline members to guide their academic, co-curricular, and personal development
- Maintain a high level of professionalism toward students, professional colleagues, parents, administrators, and members of the community internal and external
- Work closely with Admission personnel to cultivate inquiries from prospective students and facilitate positive interactions with the program
- Develop and operate camps and youth programming to support recruitment and engage in community outreach opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in percussion or appropriate field, required; master’s degree preferred
- Experience with a comprehensive range of percussive styles
- Minimum of two years of relevant, progressively-responsible professional experience with drumline, marching band, or athletic bands at the secondary or collegiate level
- Valid driver’s license and ability to be insured; ability and willingness to transport students in college van
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Able to develop and maintain collaborative relationships, engage in creative problem-solving, and extend enlightened hospitality when working with others
- Passion and motivation to recruit and mentor students
- Ability to work independently, accurately, and reliably in a fast-paced professional environment
- Willing and able to work evenings and weekends
- College teaching experience preferred
Applicants should submit the following materials in PDF format to email@example.com. On the subject line, please use Attn: Drumline Director Search Committee.
- Letter of application that includes discussion of recruiting philosophy and coaching / instructional philosophy
- Three references
- Representative recordings of performances may be requested later as the search process progresses
- Review of applications will begin on immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.