Department: Facilities Management
Reports to: Custodial Manager
Status: Full Time, Hourly
Date Last Revised: August 2018
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in Jacksonville, Illinois, 84 miles north of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capital. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The Custodial Technician performs supervised routine custodial tasks, following specific detailed instructions in the care, cleaning, and maintenance of campus buildings and grounds.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Clean walls, woodwork, doors, fixtures, furniture, and other surfaces (windows, chalkboards, etc.) of assigned areas
- Strip, wax, and polish floors; vacuum carpet and rug runners; clean carpets; sweep and mop
- Clean and sanitize bathrooms, water fountains, and locker rooms; haul away trash and recycling
- Maintain inventory of cleaning supplies for assigned areas; restock as necessary
- Perform light maintenance duties such as replacing light globes
- Operate heavy cleaning equipment
- Remove leaves, snow and ice from entrances, exits, walkways and steps
- Mix or blend routine cleaning solutions to proper concentrations
- Provide leadership to student and temporary workers
- Maintain custodial equipment including sweepers and vacuum cleaners
- High school graduate or equivalent, required
- Possession of a current driver’s license and evidence of insurability, required
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrable work history reflecting reliability and dependability
- Ability to operate heavy cleaning equipment such as scrubbing machines
- Ability to move and lift 50 pounds with or without accommodations
- Ability to work from stepladders with or without accommodations
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide units of measure
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and perform duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to stoop, bend, stand, walk, reach, kneel, climb or balance frequently and for extended periods of time while performing job duties
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of customer service
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to the Office of Human Resources by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.