The role of the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (ODEI) at Illinois College is to be a vital resource for realizing the College’s aspirations of leadership and service.
- to support, educate, and empower all students with particular regard for those who identify as historically underrepresented and/or marginalized
- be a hub for engaging the campus and surrounding communities, actualizing IC’s democratic principles, and building coalitions.
- as the “conscience of campus,” and assures campus community members and their guests that they are welcome and belong.
- Once a month, all IC members are welcome to attend a “dine and dish” event, where the community discusses that evening’s topic over a shared meal.
- ODEI sponsors cultural celebrations and co-curricular programming during the various heritage months, such as Hispanic Heritage Month, Native American Heritage Month, Black History Month, Women’s History Month, and others.
- Through cultural competency trainings and facilitated discussions, ODEI ensures that IC’s campus as a whole supports and honors students coming from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities.
- Supporting student organizations to foster a sense of belonging and community while also allowing the students to shape their wider community.
Illinois College Diversity Statement
Illinois College is committed to providing an environment in which all members of the college community will find support for their individual growth and development whatever their race/ethnicity, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national/geographic origin, language use, socio-economic status, first generation status, veteran/military status, or political ideology. As we shape our campus community, the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion is expressed within policy, practices, programming, decision-making, strategic planning, and pedagogy. Under this multidimensional framework, Illinois College will strive to develop a pluralistic community that directly supports our commitment “to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts” and to developing in our students “qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service.