Where to Get Help

Want to do better in your classes?

Go talk to your professor during office hours and ask questions. If you’re shy, write down some questions in advance. Professors love to talk about their subjects and are happy to help students who show an interest. It’s OK to say you didn’t understand something. That shows you were listening.

Student tutors can help you better understand course lectures, texts, and assignments. Students at all levels take advantage of the student consultants. For one-on-one tutoring, call the Center for Academic Excellence at 217.245.3575. For additional information see the tutoring schedule.

Parker After Dark happens Sunday through Thursday in the Parker Rotunda. Tutors, students studying. Get help, get study habits.

Talk to your advisor. Your advisor knows other faculty, knows about how much it takes to do well in particular courses, and cares about you. Your advisor may have good ideas about how you can succeed. That’s what advisors are for.

Schedule a meeting with Associate Dean Adam Porter. He can help you create a plan for getting out of trouble, let you know the rules for dropping courses and tell you if you could qualify for an incomplete. (

The Writing Center offers advice to all students on improving papers. Drop-in or make an appointment in Kirby 104. You can talk with consultants about your ideas for a paper, a first draft or a professors comments on a graded paper.

Ask a librarian. Librarians are ready to help you find the materials you need to do will on your assignments. They can give you good advice at all stages of your work.

Having personal problems?

Contact the Chesley Health and Wellness Center. You can go here at no charge for health problems of all kinds, from the common cold to chronic diseases. You can get a referral to a local doctor. You can also get help for yourself or someone you know who has a problem with alcohol or other drugs.

Thinking about life after college?

The Office of Career Services in Baxter Hall offers lots of information about available jobs, for summers or for post-graduation. You can also learn about our extensive network of internship opportunities.

Having trouble in your residence?

The Office of Residential Life can help you with all sorts of issues. Sinks clogged up? They’ll tell you where to call. Roommate driving you nuts? Get advice on communal living from director of residence life, Dennis Schumacher (217.245.3012).

Looking for friends?

We recommend joining an extracurricular activity. Take the time to be part of a literary society, SAB, the Chess Club, the IC Environmentalists or another of our 65+ organizations. Joining a group can make the difference between feeling alone and feeling at home. It takes time to meet the lifetime friends you can expect to make in college. Get a head start by finding an activity. Stop by the Center for Student Involvement or contact the assistant dean of students,Karen Homolka (217.245.3094).

  • Apply Now
  • Visit Campus
  • Deposit Now
search login