||Job Title: Director of the Center for Academic Excellence and TRiO Student Support Services
Department: Center for Academic Excellence
Reports to: Dean of Student Success
Status: Full-time, Salaried Exempt
Date Last Revised: July 1, 2014
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 70 miles northeast of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capitol. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population, currently comprised of 26 percent underrepresented students. The College develops in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
Illinois College is an institution uniquely dedicated to helping students from diverse backgrounds receive a stellar liberal arts education. The Center for Academic Excellence and the TRiO Student Support Services program are at the heart of that mission, and seek to ensure that all students strive for and achieve academic excellence and, ultimately, graduate from Illinois College. The successful candidate will be an integral member of a team of professionals committed to student success. The Director is responsible for administrative oversight of the Center for Academic Excellence and the TRIO Student Support Services program and for providing academic counseling to Illinois College students.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
• Hire, train, and supervise the Center for Academic Excellence/TRiO professional staff, support personnel, and student workers
• Work with the Assistant Director to administer the College’s tutoring, study tables, and Supplemental Instruction programs
• Provide administrative oversight to the TRiO SSS Program and dedicate at least 50% of time towards the TRiO Program
• Work with the Operations Manager to ensure accurate and timely reporting to the US Department of Education
• Meet with students to coach them toward meeting their academic goals
• Help participants and/or their families connect with other on-campus resources and off-campus agencies as necessary
• Direct the Illinois College Yates Fellowship Program
• Serve on the Early Intervention Committee
• Coordinate the annual Celebration of Excellence
• If appropriate, serve as a teacher for a first-year seminar and/or academic success courses
• Demonstrated ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrated expertise in program administration and personnel supervision
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues across administrative divisions
• Master’s degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g. Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Student Affairs, Psychology); doctorate, ABD or another terminal degree, preferred
• 5-7 years of progressive responsibility in higher education or student development, preferred
• Previous experience working with a TRiO program, preferred
Please send a letter of interest, resume (including the names of three references), as well as copies of any college transcripts. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until filled. Interested applicants should send information to the following address:
Director of Human Resources
1101 West College
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.