||Job Title: Director of Marketing and Communication
Department: Marketing and Communication
Reports to: Vice President for Enrollment Management and College Marketing
Status: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Date Last Revised: August 2014
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 70 miles northeast of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capitol. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population, currently comprised of 26 percent underrepresented students. The College develops in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The Director of Marketing and Communication is responsible for the College’s brand management and expanding the institutional visibility. This work includes developing and implementing an integrated marketing and communications plan that supports the mission and strategic goals of Illinois College including marketing, media, public and community relations. The Director is positioned to be a key leader in developing and executing the College’s strategic plan.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
• Create, implement and assess a comprehensive marketing strategy that supports the institution’s goals and strategic plan with the ability to stay nimble as priorities evolve.
• Support recruitment, fundraising and revenue generation efforts through coordinated marketing strategy, brand development, market research and strategic planning support.
• Enhance and unify marketing and communication across campus and support other offices in the creation of print and electronic materials.
• Lead the College in best practices for web content, design, and social media strategy.
• Manage the editorial direction, design, production and distribution of institutional publications (such as the Quarterly magazine) in consultation with the President and Cabinet.
• Initiate, establish and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative and productive partnerships across campus. Collaborate with members of the College, the community, vendors and the media.
• Work with the President and Cabinet to develop messages, particularly during high-profile issues or crisis management.
• Act as budget manager for monies allocated to marketing and communication.
• Oversee management of the College’s photography and videography.
• Supervise four full time staff members and a team of paid and volunteer student workers.
• Bachelor’s degree required, masters preferred in relevant fields such as marketing, communication, public relations and advertising
• Minimum of eight years of progressive experience and a proven track record of success in the field. Experience in higher education a plus.
• Demonstrated customer service skills with high levels of professionalism, diplomacy and integrity required.
• Proven understanding of emerging communication channels and technologies.
• Creativity, strategic planning and an ability to innovate are necessary to face the changing higher education landscape.
• Excellent writing and editing skills required.
• Ability to lead and manage other professionals and students.
Please send a letter of interest, resume (including the names of three references), as well as copies of any college transcripts. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until filled. Interested applicants should their information to the following address:
Director of Human Resources
1101 West College
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650
Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.