Take advantage of reconnecting with your friends and classmates to further grow those bonds of friendship. Make new acquaintances with others who may also become your life-long friends.
- Enjoy the special SOPHOMORES ONLY "Back in Blue" celebration on Monday, August 31 at 6 p.m. in the Steuer Walkway. Take a moment to connect with your first year seminar classmates, faculty, staff, Connections Leaders and all those other friends that you have made. Giveaways, contests and prizes will add to the fun.
Learn more about your talents, strengths and purpose which will continue to shape your future and maximize what makes you happy.
- Experience a new, interactive approach to convocations. You will earn CONVO CREDIT by attending sessions designed especially for you and other sophomores to gain the skills you need for success in graduate school and in the employment world.
Marketing yourself is an important key to success. Your resume, social media image and public speaking & writing skills are tickets to post-graduation success. Think about how you are marketing yourself now for later. Would YOU hire you based on a quick Google search or listening to an interview of yourself? Explore the following opportunities:
- Attend one of many resume workshops offered this year and complete or update your resume.
- Meet with staff in Career Services using the new CareerLink system to develop and keep your resume on file in preparation for future job and internship opportunities.
Making use of your valuable time is an important skill. Review now what is important to you and what you want to accomplish while at IC. What experiential, service and extra-curricular activities should you do to develop your skills? How should you make the most of each day?
- Consult with a representative from the Career Services Office, the Center for Academic Excellence or your faculty advisor to explore your interests and your academic major. Your major should be declared by the end of your sophomore year.
- Work with your faculty advisor to complete your Personal Development plan for your final two years at Illinois College.
- Meet with Cori Wagner, the Career Engagement Coordinator, to create your Sophomore Passport that provides another way to maximize your curricular and co-curricular choices and opportunities.
Gain insights and awareness to the importance of inclusion. Celebrate the strength of diversity and learn the ways to embrace differences that prepare you for a complex and multi-faceted world. Learn about all the ways we are different and yet so much alike.
- Attend as many different culturally diverse activities as possible, including interfaith conversations, as well as student organizations or other campus sponsored events.
- Converse and embrace conversations and friendships that highlight our mosaic campus.
Sometimes we lead and sometimes we follow. Learn the skills of cooperation and teamwork. Gain confidence and learn skills to make you a better leader and/or group participant.
- Attend one leadership development workshop, True Blue Institute, student employment training or related convocation during your sophomore year.
- Take an active role in assessing your extra-curricular involvement. Are you ready to join a student organization? Should you step up into a leadership role? Are you over-extended and need to re-prioritize?
Create new ways to fulfill the mission of your alma mater which is to develop in its students qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service. How can you immerse yourself in leadership and service projects in and around our community?
- Participate in the scheduled sophomore year community service projects.
- Consider serving as a mentor for other IC students as this year concludes.
Explore each year and take advantage of all that has been planned for you. After you do, we will celebrate together your participation in this special, Sophomore Year Experience. You won't want to miss this great event!
- Attend the "Halfway to Someday" celebration at year's end. You have worked hard, had some fun along the way and are now ready to experience your junior and senior years. It won't be long now until you emerge as the IC students who will #GraduateREADY for all that life has to offer.