Medical Research (Two students to be selected)
This internship experience will offer participating students involvement in both a research project as well as exposure to clinical psychiatry. Students interested in the fields of medicine or research will gain valuable insight to the workings of an academic department of psychiatry within a school of medicine. Areas of research might include developmental disabilities, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, transcranial magnetic stimulation, medical education, or other diagnostic or treatment modalities.
A few past projects for IC Explorer interns regarded the following subjects and have concluded with a 25 minute PowerPoint presentation to the SIU staff, IC community members and family as well as a presentation on the Illinois College campus. Several projects have resulted in poster presentations at national research meetings.
- Allostatic Load and Physiologic Indicators Among Adults with Developmental Disabilities
- A Comparison of Medical and Behavioral Care Indices in Adults with Intellectual Disabilities Residing at a State Operated Intermediate Care Facility with and without Pica
- The Effect of Facility Closure Announcement on Maladaptive Behavior and Injuries among Adults with Intellectual Disability Residing at a State Operated Developmental Center
- Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Disorders (OCSD) behavioral in people with Intellectual Disability with or without a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder at an Intermediate Care Facility for Developmental Disability (ICF/DD)
- The Effect of Anti-Constipatory Medication Change on Adults with Developmental Disability diagnosed with Chronic Constipation at a State Operated Intermediate Care Facility for Developmental Disability
- Examining Falls in the Developmentally Disabled
- The Early Detection of Dementia and Rate of Decline in Dementia
- Sleep Disturbances in the Developmentally Disabled
- Metabolic Syndrome at Jacksonville Developmental Center
- Preventative Care at Jacksonville Developmental Center, A Review of its Importance
- Rates of Depression at Jacksonville Developmental Center
- Degenerative Spine Diseases in the Developmentally Disabled Population
To apply for the medical research IC Explorer Internship with SIU School of Medicine for the summer of 2014 you should email your resumé and cover letter in one attached PDF file to Internship Coordinator JJ Sadler at JJ.Sadler@mail.ic.edu.
Address your cover letter to:
Dr. Jeffrey I. Bennett
Acting Chair, Department of Psychiatry
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
901 W. Jefferson
P.O. Box 19642
Springfield, IL 62794-9642
The application deadline is January 31, 2014. On-campus interviews will be held in mid-February and selections will be made before spring break.