Twenty-five Illinois College students received 2013 IC Explorers internships that offered valuable on-the-job experience each can apply toward future careers. The internships were made possible by a $21,830 Cooperative Work Study Grant from the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE).
The grant was matched by Illinois College and the contributions of nine employers to provide these internships during 2013-14. Most of the internships took place over the summer.
Illinois College President Barbara Farley said, “Internships encourage students to think about their future in new and different ways. Interns collaborate with co-workers, conduct independent research, develop an understanding of workplace dynamics, and learn more about career opportunities in the sector in which they are interning.”
Farley continued, “Some IC Explorers enter full-time employment with their internship sponsors as soon as they graduate. Many others have drawn upon their internship experiences in successful job searches and applications for graduate and professional degree programs.”
The Illinois College Explorers and their internship locations include:
- Kayla Sagritalo (Athens, Ill.) and Jasmine Bruns (Jacksonville, Ill.) at Heritage Health in Jacksonville
- Ashley Bailey (Springfield, Ill.), Logan Giesing (Quincy, Ill.), Danae James (Springfield, Ill.), Samuel Porter (Brighton, Ill.), Lauren Pierson (Havana, Ill.) and Amy Ross (Roodhouse, Ill.) at the Lincoln’s New Salem State Historic Site
- Kelly McCormick (Godfrey, Ill.) at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
- Rachel McCormick (Mount Pulaski, Ill.) at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
- Chloe Neisler (Pawnee, Ill.) at Illinois Manufacturer’s Association
- Benjamin Belzer (Jacksonville, Ill.), Genevieve Elkin (Springfield, Ill.), Wes Sampias (Chatham, Ill.), Lacey Wilson (Algonquin, Ill.) and Kate Stark (Pittsfield, Ill.) at the Illinois State Museum
- Spencer Campbell (Heyworth, Ill.), Adam Hamerlinck (Springfield, Ill.), Brittany Staake (Staunton, Ill) and Sarah Klebe (Riverton, Ill.) at H.D. Smith
- Ashley Roller (Girard, Ill.) at Nestlé USA
- Kate VonDeBur (Sherman, Ill.) at Rammelkamp Bradney, P.C.
- Kristi Price (Dawson, Ill.) and Renee Price (Springfield) at SIU School of Medicine
- Terrence Fayne (Waukegan, Ill.) at Woodlawn Farm.
“The application process for IC Explorers internships is highly competitive because students understand how important the internship can be to their future,” said Susie Drake, director of career services.
Drake added, “In addition to being paid for their internships, IC Explorers can qualify for free summer living accommodations and they receive free academic credits toward graduation. We have been fortunate to offer IC Explorers internships to our students since 2003.”
About Illinois College
Founded in 1829, Illinois College is a residential liberal arts college fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success. The college is located in Jacksonville, Ill. With an enrollment of nearly 1,000 students, the college offers over 50 undergraduate programs and a Master of Arts in Education degree program. In 1932 the society of Phi Beta Kappa established a chapter at Illinois College, and it remains one of only 11 in the state.
Illinois College is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Visit www.ic.edu or call 217-245-3149 for more information.