The Henson Robinson Zoo, part of the Springfield Park District and accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, is home to animals native to Australia, Africa, Asia, and North and South America. Over 9 0species of native and exotic animals are housed among naturalistic exhibits. The Zoo participates in scientific research studies and conservation efforts in addition to providing a fun and educational environment for people of all ages. This internship will offer the participating student training and hands-on experience in reptile, amphibian, bird, and mammal husbandry and enrichment. This internship will also increase the student’s skills with informal on-site animal education and conservation education by interpreting exhibit animals, biological artifacts, and education-use animals. Additionally, the intern will become proficient with performing formal on-site education programs in the zoo’s amphitheater.
- Work side-by-side with ZooKeepers providing routine care for animals – Routine care involves cleaning exhibits, observing animals’ conditions, preparing and distributing diets, and creating and enacting enrichment projects
- Informally interpret animals within their exhibits as an Animal Ambassador
- Informally interpret biological artifacts as Grab ‘n Go Biofacts
- Informally interpret education-use amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals for the Close Encounters program
- Develop and perform a weekly 20-minute animal program in the amphitheater
Interested applicants must be interested in working with animals and educating zoo visitors about them; must have the ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively with others; and must be able to perform physical work.
To apply for the medical research IC Explorer Internship with the Henson Robinson Zoo for the summer of 2014 you should email your resumé and cover letter in one attached PDF file to Internship Coordinator JJ Sadler at JJ.Sadler@mail.ic.edu. You should also have one letter of recommendation from a professor sent to JJ.Sadler@mail.ic.edu.
Address your cover letter to:
Assistant Director/General Curator
Henson Robinson Zoo
1100 East Lake Drive
Springfield, Illinois 62712
The application deadline is January 31, 2014. On-campus interviews will be held in mid-February and selections will be made before spring break.