Job Title: Outreach Librarian
Department: Schewe Library
Reports to: Library Director
Status: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Last Revised: July 30, 2013
Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in the heart of Illinois, 70 miles northeast of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capitol. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. The College develops qualities of mind and character in its students needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
Schewe Library at Illinois College invites applications for the newly formed position as Librarian for outreach, instructional design, scholarly communications, and digital scholarship. This position will provide vision, leadership, planning, and management to sustain proven approaches, and develop new programs, virtual and physical, to support the College’s information literacy, knowledge navigation program, outreach, and digital scholarship - through strategic planning, user-centered services, best practices, and robust technologies. Some evening hours will be required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Develop and implement instructional tools in support of the College’s information literacy program including methods for
assessing the effectiveness of those tools.
• Provide in-person research support to students and faculty, and reference support as needed.
• Participate in design and marketing of e-portfolios to students and faculty.
• Provide regularly scheduled technology staffing support to the Digital Learning Center (DLC).
• Supervise DLC interns.
• Manage, shape, and promote existing and newly digital collections.
• Demonstrate the ability to speak well, write fluently, and command the attention and respect of students and faculty.
• Exhibit a capacity for strategic thinking at both a systems level and a group level.
• Possess the ability to apply critical, analytical and innovative thinking and to successfully manage several projects concurrently.
• Contribute to library-wide strategic planning, policy development, assessment, and resource management.
• Demonstrate leadership in and commitment to the concepts and practices of a “learning organization.”
• ALA-accredited MLS degree.
• Professional-level experience in reference and instruction in an academic library, preferably in a liberal arts college.
• Experience and ability to work collaboratively with others and to manage projects and initiatives.
• Self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the commitment to work as part of a team.
• Experience in successfully leading and implementing change.
• Experience with social networking.
• Supervisory and leadership experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design principles and technologies as reflected in instructional products.
• Demonstrated knowledge of information literacy concepts and issues and their connection with teaching and learning issues.
• Demonstrated familiarity with instructional theories, methods and practices used with diverse learning communities.
• Experience with instructional design tools and technologies e.g., Web authoring and capture software.
• Knowledge of copyright principles as they relate to online instructional design.
• Experience with online course management systems (Moodle preferred) and related emerging technologies.
• Second subject Master’s degree.
• Digital program or project management experience using CONTENTdm.
Salary and Rank
Commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position with generous insurance benefits and employer-funded retirement options.
Review of applications will continue until filled. Final determination will be based upon a successful interview. Interested candidates should submit the following packet:
• Cover letter detailing why your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position,
• Current CV including dates of employment;
• Three professional references with their name, title, daytime telephone number and e-mail address;
Materials should be sent via email to ICHR@ic.edu or mail to:
Office of Human Resources
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650
Candidacy review begins immediately and continues until the appointment is made. Official transcripts for all degrees and a background check are required prior to the starting date of employment.