Illinois College has partnered with Passavant Area Hospital’s Community Childhood Wellness Coalition, and the internationally-known Starhill Forest Arboretum to create a community garden in the city of Jacksonville. The Helen A. Dean Community Garden, located at 32 Book Lane., provides an opportunity for Illinois College students to integrate their learning, leadership and service with the goal of the health and wellness of the greater Jacksonville community, especially school children and their families. Located in a residential neighborhood, the Garden is a living and learning laboratory.
Its goals include to:
• Nurture healthy bodies with locally grown and nutritious food;
• Reduce family food budgets;
• Encourage exercise and therapeutic labor;
• Develop shared herb, perennial, vegetable and native prairie flower gardens;
• Create areas for positive social interaction; and
• Educate children and adults in “green” gardening practices that reflect care through water conservation, water recovery, mulching, weed control and pest management, and composting for healthy soil.
Illinois College students participate in this partnership by working directly with the Community Childhood Wellness Coalition and the Starhill Forest Arboretum. For more information, please contact email@example.com
Our community partners: