All students are invited to audition for theatre scholarships. However, some scholarships are reserved for theatre majors and minors. Others are available for any student who participates in the Department of Theatre, regardless of major. In order to receive a scholarship, students should first apply to the college, then audition through the Department of Theatre.
Tier 1 - Emerging Artist Scholarship - $40,000 over four years
- $10,000 per year for students with the intent of majoring in theatre.
- Recipients must maintain their intent to major in theatre, must formally declare a major in theatre by the conclusion of their sophomore year, and must participate in a theatre production each semester.
Tier 2 - Talent Scholarship - $20,000 over four years
Tier 3 - Theatre Award - $2,000 to $4,000 over four years
- $5,000 per year for students with the intent of majoring or minoring in theatre.
- Recipients must maintain their intent to major or minor in theatre, must formally declare a major or minor in theatre by the conclusion of their sophomore year, and must participate in a theatre production or course each semester.
- $500 or $1000 awards for any student participating in theatre, regardless of major.
- Students may audition and obtain theatre awards after the February audition deadline.
- Recipients need not be a theatre major or minor, but must participate in a production or course each year.
Audition Days and Deadlines
Please note: students should apply to the college before auditioning, AND complete the online form for Theatre Auditions according to the deadlines.
Students must audition by March 5, 2016 in order to be considered for an Emerging Artist or Talent Scholarship for the 2016 Fall semester. Theatre Awards can be awarded at later dates. Please complete the online form
as early as possible before your chosen audition date, and at least ONE WEEK BEFORE the date you plan to audition. See below for specific requirements.
Upcoming audition days:
(NOTE: individuals auditioning on this date are NOT eligible for top awards, and are only eligible for Tier 3 awards.)
(NOTE: Individuals auditioning on this date are NOT eligible for top awards, and are only eligible for Tier 3 awards.)
:: Please make every effort to audition on one of these days. If you are unable to audition during one of these days, indicate so on the online form. You will be contacted by the Department of Theatre to schedule an audition. Or, you may email to inquire about other audition times.
If you are unable to audition before March 5, 2016 you will be ineligible for top tier awards.
Out-of-state residents may audition by video recording. For more information, please contact: Aasne Daniels, IC TheatreWorks , at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Should submit their chosen monologues at least 24 hours prior to their audition.
• Bring two copies of their monologues with them.
• Should perform two 1-2 minute monologues, contrasting in style. Contrast can be in terms of drama versus comedy, contemporary versus classical, or merely two very different types of characters.
• Should memorize their monologues.
• Should bring a portfolio demonstrating their work. This can be in the form of:
• production photographs
• prompt books (for stage managers)
• or any other material that allows us to see your talents and skills.
Please send relevant materials to Aasne Daniels, IC TheatreWorks Program Director via email
After becoming an Illinois College student, there are further opportunities to win annual cash awards. We recognize excellence in multiple areas of theatre involvement.
Annual Theatre Awards
John G. Anderson Award in Theatre
• Awarded to the student who demonstrates dedicated and consistent excellence in theatre productions.
Past recipients: Dustin Secrist '12, Carly Holmes '13, Tamar Norville '14, Drew Stroud '15
Diana Dawdy Chesley Award in Technical Theatre
• Awarded for outstanding achievement in technical theatre.
Past recipients: Bryant Suess '12, Trevor Warner '13, Nick Hommowun '14, Caitlin Buchanan '15, Quinton Paiva '15
Dennis J. Ryan Memorial Drama Award
• Awarded for an outstanding single achievement in the dramatic arts.
Past recipients: Claire Frachey '12, Kelsey McFarren/Matt Gwaltney '13, John Love '14, Tamar Norville '15, Tyler Gillson '15
Gerald and Dorothy Staley Senior Award in Theatre
• Awarded to the senior who demonstrates growth and accomplishment both onstage and backstage.
Past recipients: Carly Holmes '12, Anna Booher '13, Logan Giesing '14, Zipprea Abdulmalik '15
Illinois College Theatre Patrons Scholarship
• Awarded to a Theatre major whose performance work onstage and in the classroom demonstrates both accomplishment and devotion to the performing arts.
Past recipients: Anna Booher '12, Logan Giesing '13, Drew Stroud '14, Brooke Kuchefski '15