Instructions for submitting your IRB proposal – student researchers
- Review the current IRB website if you are unfamiliar with the purposes and goals of the Institutional Review Board.
- Compose your IRB applications as a regular Word (or WordPerfect) file, consisting of the following components:
- Name and email address for the principal researcher on this project.
- Names and email addresses for all additional researchers who will be working on this project, if applicable.
- Name and email address of your faculty supervisor for this project.
- Approximate dates for initiating and concluding this study.
- The overall goals of your research.
- A complete project description, including how you will go about collecting your data, and putting together your sample of respondents
- Your assessment of any negative impacts, as well as the benefits to participants from this research.
- Indication that the faculty member will have discussed the ethical collection of data from participants with the students BEFORE they conduct surveys or interviews. This discussion will include the importance of maintaining anonymity and confidentiality, and handling survey or interview data with care.
- A copy of the survey (or interview) questions you will be asking your respondents, or a copy of the pre-test, post-test, or other research instrument your study will utilize.
- A sample letter of informed consent and signature page, customized for your research. Sample letter of Informed Consent.
(Link 3e – Sample Letter - Students)
- Save your completed application document to your computers or flash drive (for future reference or potential revisions).
- Email your application to:
IC Institutional Review Board: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have questions or problems with submitting your IRB application, please contact: