The IC Explorer Program is a competitive Illinois College sponsored internship program for currently enrolled students who will be returning to IC the following year. Students are paid by a combination of grant funding from the state of Illinois, the employers, and Illinois College. Summer interns who live outside the area and need housing may be provided housing on campus or at New Salem at no fee. All summer IC Explorer interns will earn three hours of summer internship credit at no additional fee.
Due to funding regulations from the State of Illinois, only students who are official residents of Illinois are eligible for this program. We encourage our international and out-of-state students to talk with the Office of Career Services about other internship opportunities.
Twenty-four internships are offered for the summer of 2015, and one is offered during fall 2015. All the internship sites are located either within Jacksonville or within 45 minutes of the city. Most summer interns work full-time for ten weeks, and the academic year intern works about 10 hours per week. The exact number of internships is finalized after the state grant is awarded in February each year. Please see the list below for the typical offerings. Students need to submit a resumé and cover letter for every opportunity they wish to apply for. There is no limit on the number of internships a student may apply for. Students may only be awarded an IC Explorer internship two times.
- Interns are paid a $2,500 stipend over the course of the internship. Note: The fall intern will receive minimum wage for all the hours completed instead of the $2,500 stipend.
- Summer interns earn three hours of summer academic credit at no extra fee. Please note that the fall semester intern must not exceed the 20 credit hour limit by adding the internship.
- On-campus housing available for up to 9 out-of-area students for the summer internships. The New Salem internships offer housing near the site.
- The application deadline is Friday, February 6, 2015.
- Interviews will be held on campus in mid-February. Decisions will be out to students by spring break.
- All internships are dependent upon grant approval from the Illinois Board of Higher Education in early February.
- A resumé and cover letter for each position you are interested in are needed. Address your cover letter to each site contact but send an email with your resumé and cover letter as a single PDF attachment to to JJ Sadler at JJ.Sadler@mail.ic.edu. All resumés and cover letters must be submitted electronically by the deadline.
- Students may apply for as many internships as they desire. We encourage students to apply and interview for multiple internships, which gives them practice for future opportunities.
- All IC Explorer interns will make a public presentation on-campus about their experience in the fall.