The IC Explorer Program is a competitive Illinois College sponsored internship program for currently enrolled students who will be returning to IC the following year. Students are paid by a combination of grant funding from the state of Illinois, the employers, and Illinois College. Summer interns who live outside the area and need housing may be provided housing on campus or at New Salem at no fee**. All summer IC Explorer interns will earn three hours of summer internship credit at no additional fee.
Due to funding regulations from the State of Illinois, only students who are official residents of Illinois are eligible for this program. We encourage international and out-of-state students to talk with the Office of Career Services about other internship opportunities.
Twenty-four internships are offered for the summer of 2016, and one is offered during fall 2016. Internship sites are located either within the Jacksonville-area or in the Chicago-area. Most summer interns work full-time for ten weeks, and the academic year intern works about 10 hours per week. The exact number of internships is finalized after the state grant is awarded in March each year. Please see the list below for this year’s offerings. Students need to submit at least a resumé and cover letter for every opportunity they wish to apply for. There is no limit on the number of internships a student may apply for. Students may only be awarded an IC Explorer internship two times.
- Summer interns are paid a $2,500 stipend over the course of the internship before taxes. The fall intern will receive minimum wage for all the hours completed instead of the stipend.
Summer interns earn three hours of summer academic credit at no extra fee. The fall intern must not exceed the 20 credit hour limit by adding the internship.
- **On-campus housing available for up to 9 out-of-area students for the summer internships. The New Salem internships offer housing near the site. The Chicago-area internship is not eligible for free on-campus housing. The intern must make arrangements for housing.
The application deadline is
Sunday, February 7, 2016 Friday, February 12, 2016.
- Interviews will be held on campus in mid-February.
Decisions will be out to students by spring break. (Please note this is a tentative timeline.) Due to the complexities of CareerLINK and the state budget uncertainties, students will know if they received an internship by March 18, 2016.
- All internships are dependent upon grant approval from the Illinois Board of Higher Education in early March.
- A resumé and cover letter for each position you are interested in are needed. Be sure to read each description carefully! All resumés and cover letters must be submitted electronically through CareerLINK by the deadline.
- Students may apply for as many internships as they desire. We encourage students to apply and interview for multiple internships, which is practice for future opportunities.
- All IC Explorer interns will make a public presentation on-campus about their experience the following semester.